All levels of team tennis are available for both men and women.
Club pro, Sam Corso, will conduct senior camps, drills, mixers – (Mon. – Fri.)
Sedgwick Farm Tennis Club is a friendly environment where families are encouraged to socialize, especially on family night when tennis and pizza are shared. The club has locker rooms and a spacious clubhouse with excellent facilities, including a fully equipped kitchen. The clubhouse is available to members, at a nominal charge, for parties and family events.
Tennis Matches and Tennis Tournaments
Lessons with Certified Professionals
Sedgwick Farm Tennis Club hosts the Central New York “Red Clay” Junior Championships each year, sanctioned by the Eastern Tennis Association and the United States Tennis Association (USTA), with which the club has been affiliated for many years. It also hosts the CNYTA Level 2 Junior Tournament, as well as the CNY Adult Tournament.
The Sedgwick Farm Tennis Club opened in June, 1897, at the northeast corner of Brattle Road and Sedgwick Drive. There were 8 clay courts and a small clubhouse.
In 1899, the club hosted its first New York State Championship. It was so successful, the tournament returned to the club in 1900. Among the players were Malcolm Whitman (National Champion in 1898, 1899 and 1900), Fred Alexander and William Hackett (National Doubles Champions), R.D. Little, Beals Wright (National Champion in 1905), and other leading players of the day.
In 1907, the club premises were traded for the present location at 422 DeWitt Street. A new, larger clubhouse was built and ready to use for the 1908 season.
The club flourished at its new location. In addition to 10 of the finest clay courts in the eastern U.S., there was a large three-story clubhouse which contained squash courts, bowling alleys, a ballroom and a dining room. The Thursday night dinners were highlights for many years. Among the many famous tennis players who played at the club were “Big Bill” Tilden and Frank Shields (grandfather of Brooke Shields).
The old clubhouse was razed in 1949 and a small, one-story clubhouse was built, utilizing some of the original stone foundation. The building was renovated with a second floor added between the 1965 and 1966 seasons.
The area now occupied by Courts 1 through 5 has been in constant play since 1908. Courts 6 through 10 were allowed to “go to grass” during World War II. Their refurbishment began in the late 1950s with the clearing of Courts 7, 8 and 9.
The club was very active in the 60′s and 70′s when tennis was in vogue. Then, references were required, there was a waiting list for membership and an initiation fee was in effect. At present, interest in tennis has cooled somewhat and the club is more accessible to new members.
Sedgwick Farm Tennis Club continued to be active in the ’80s and ’90s. Jimmy Arias, winner of the Italian Open and once ranked number 3 in the world, played on our courts. Pete Sampras sent a congratulatory note to the club on its 100th anniversary in 1997.
The club has no debt and is running a small surplus. It is selectively seeking members in order to support both competitive and recreational tennis and to fully utilize its facilities.
Board of Directors
Lou Anne Colaneri